Who's Your Daddy?

When I was three, my dad and I were in the car going somewhere. This was in the early seventies when the cars were big and seatbelts weren't required. I remember jumping around the front seat while he drove. I must have been acting like a brat (surprise, I know) because he hit me.

A few seconds later a cop pulled him over. My dad told me to sit down and be quiet.

The cop leaned in and looked at me. "Is this your daddy?" he asked.

"Yes," I said.

He looked at my dad and back at me. "Did he tell you to say he was your Daddy?" he asked.

I was only three, but I could tell something was up. I glared at my dad for a second, remembering the deserved smack I just got and thought about saying yes.

"No," I said and he let us go. Turned out there was a guy in our area who had kidnapped a little girl my age, and when he saw my dad hit me, he thought it was me.

I wonder what would have happened if I'd said he wasn't my daddy...

Comments

Raine Chasing said…
I'm surprised you didn't say "no, he's not my daddy." LOL
Yikes! Can you imagine the mess you would have created?

I think we had a car like that too.
Kristi Faith said…
hilarious!! One time I got my mom in trouble because I told a police officer she beat me. Well, she didn't...it was a phrase she used often though. Especially after that incident. LOL
Lisa Miles said…
Kristi, that's hysterical!
Hardygirl said…
Too funny!! My brother and I called a child abuse hotline when we were little because my mom had switched us (deserved). We told the person on the line that she had left red marks on our legs.

She laughed at us (!)--so glad. Whew! I don't think they'd let that one slide today, huh?

sf
Erin Kuhns said…
What a great idea for a story! And yeah, times sure have changed, haven't they??
Unknown said…
LOL Oh my... imagine what would have happened had you said No... oh the possibilities!

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven