What To Do With All Those Great Writing Ideas

For years I carried around a small notebook to jot down ideas when they came to me. I still do that but now I transfer them to my Idea Box for easy organized access.

If something catches my attention I'll write it down on something (notebook, napkin, index card, my hand) and later tranfer it to an index card for the box. If it's something I overheard, I'll write it down on the card. If it's an article or photo I find, I'll cut it out and tape it to a card.

This morning while putting laundry away I had the country music station on. I almost never listen to country, but for some reason that's what it was set at. You know how country songs always tell a sad sappy story? I heard one that immediately gave me an idea for my current WIP (work in progress). I quickly jotted my idea down in the notebook I'm using for that story. (If the idea wouldn't work for my WIP, I would have written it on an index card and put it in the Idea Box).

Whenever I'm plotting out story or characters I'll go through my Idea Box and see what I come up with. In the box I have full stories, snippets of dialogue and characteristics (refuses to wear shoes even in church-type thing). Since I can't remember everything I have in the box, it's a great way to get fresh ideas when plotting.

Like many writers, I get a lot of my best ideas in the shower. To keep these ideas from escaping by the time I get out, I use my son's Bathtub Crayons to write my ideas on the shower wall. It won't run off with shower water, but still comes off easily when you clean it.

Noelle Nolan, a professional freelance writer says, "I have a file on my computer titled "Article Ideas," and anytime one strikes me I type it in there. Its just a list with a few directions I can go with it. I also jot them down on a piece of paper kept in a filing cabinet or my organizer."

How do you capture your ideas?

Comments

Raine Chasing said…
I love the idea box. I may have to steal your idea of the box and create my own. What size index cards do you use? The 3x5 or bigger ones?
Lisa Miles said…
The box is actually a photo box, and I just use 3 x 5 cards. I have them separated into two categories: story ideas and characteristics.
Pat Tillett said…
I've written thoughts and indeas on all those things as well. I've even written them on my skin.

I've never organized them though.
I like the idea!
thanks
Hans said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pat Tillett said…
also....
Thanks so much for following my blog! It's pretty much written in chronological order and makes more sense if read that way. I've lived a crazy life and I'm involved in a mad dash to "purge" my memory banks, before I forgot more than I already have..
Lisa Miles said…
Pat, I look forward to reading through your blog.
You know, I used to do this for design ideas. I don't know why it never occurred to me to do the same for writing. Great idea!
I love this idea! I have a lot of journals and notebooks but wouldn't it be fun to take three items out of the box and try to make a story out of them?
Kate said…
Great idea! I tend to write things down on scraps of paper or in my diary.

Kate x
http://search-for-the-perfect10.blogspot.com
Lisa Miles said…
I used to do the same thing by writing down ideas on scraps of paper and in notebooks. But when you're looking for inspiration, it's a pain to sit flipping through pages of a notebook or hunting for scraps of paper (which are most likely long gone).
Dennis Hodgson said…
It sounds like a good method, but it's not one that I follow. I have a small list in my head of topics that I want to write about, and I only ever think about the details when I actually sit down to write.

I never get ideas "out of the blue".
Kerry Ashwin said…
I am all for organisation. I use post-it notes and then transfer them to the computer.
Also ~I never go out without a notebook, as I get inspiration everywhere.
Kristi Faith said…
I love, LOVE bathtub crayons!
Carla Gade said…
Wordpad is my best friend. I also carry little notebooks with me and stuff the pages away with my ideas.
Neat, tidy and organised! Well done. Customised too!!!

I have a file box similar to yours (empty) and index cards (blank) ... All my ideas, cut outs etc are on bits of paper waiting to be transfered. I'm not looking forward to rewriting stuff out again, but you just gave me the idea ... I'll stick my scrappy bits of paper onto the file card. Thank you.
Lisa Miles said…
Taping is much easier than rewriting:)

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven