Top 10 Non-Writing Activities

Top 10 Non-Writing Activities (from Musings of a Writer Chick Living in Paradise)


The biggest thing I have in common with my followers (that sounds funny) is that we're all writers. But I was thinking I'd like to share the things that I like to do that are not related to writing. And then I'd love to hear yours.


My top 10 favorite non-writing things to do these days:

10) Listen to podcasts while I do my day job (cleaning houses). Although most of them are writing related, I do listen to a local radio show I love, The Break Room.

9) Lately I love checking out all of the fabulous writing blogs I've found.

8) Playing Xbox Lego Indiana Jones (or anything else) with my four year old son.

7) Taking a hot shower where I get lots of great writing ideas.

6) My husband and I just finished watching all seven seasons of Two and a Half Men, and I bought myself him the first season for Valentine's Day so we can start over. Love that show!

5) Having playdates with my best friend, Vanessa (we both have kids, we don't do the playing). It's even better when we get a girls night out alone and hang out at the bookstore or mall.

4) Every Friday I look forward to getting my US Weekly gossip mag in the mail. I love crawling into bed with that.

3) Since I'm beginning my first YA novel, I've been reading lots of YA. Right now I'm really into Ellen Hopkins. I didn't like her books at first, but now I'm hooked.

2) Believe it or not, packing. We're getting ready to move into our first house in a few weeks. Anything I can do make it feel like I'm "working" on the house stuff, I'll do.

1) Shopping at Target or Old Navy. Although with our new house I'll be changing my destinations to Home Depot and Bed, Bath and Beyond.


I'd love to hear others' favorite non-writing things to do. If you're interested, post a list on your blog and then let me know via a comment so I can go check it out.

Comments

Kristi Faith said…
oh that sounds fun, I will have to post later today :0)

I'll come back and leave the link. I will have to check out your YA author too. :0) Thanks for sharing.
Diana Paz said…
Great idea! I love reading YA too, and playdates with a good friend (who also has kids).

Happy Valentine's Day!
Lisa Miles said…
Thanks girls! Happy Valentine's Day!
Tess said…
Hooray - I got to be #100. That's got to be good luck for today, right?

fun activities ... mine include some of those as well, plus Sunday naps and going to my favorite hole-in-the wall restaurant.

Happy Valentines!
I didn't realize you're writing your first YA novel. Me too!

Salsa dancing is high on my list of non-writing things, and I also love playing a lot of sports.
Stephanie said…
I take an adult jazz dance class and we even perform in the yearly recital!! I love to scrapbook and I have a slight obsession with Walt Disney World. And I can't leave out my 5 favorite Bostonians: New Kids on the Block!!
Lisa Miles said…
Yay Tess, #100!! I love naps, too, but I hardly ever get to take them.

Mel, I love that you go salsa dancing. I picture you and Ibis looking glamorous and twirling each other around (I don't even know if you twirl in salsa dancing.) I didn't realize you're writing a YA novel! That's awesome. I've always wanted to ask what you have/are writing.

Stephanie, Adult jazz sounds like fun. Actually, adult anything sounds like fun:)
Julie said…
I will totally participate tomorrow! I love reading about everyone's non-writing lives and discovering what else we have in common!
I have a hard time making decisions, so I don't know about making a list. That requires ranking, which requires making decisions! LOL But mainly...
Grandkids & horses.

Thanks for finding me and leading me to you! If you really want to know how I spend my non-writing time, check out my farm blog, blahwg!
Lindsey Edwards said…
I love to read and scrapbook. I read because of pure enjoyment as well as it's kind of a job requirement for a writer! (grin) Scrapbooking is just another way to express my creativity and also is a piece of heartfelt love that my son will cherish when he has children of his own.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who indulges in YA! I read more of that than "grown up" fiction because it hasn't reached that "messy" adult-life stage yet. I have to admit - I clicked on your link to Ellen Hopkins and it was to scary for me to even click on the book! I'll have to come back tomorrow when I'm not the only one awake in the house!
Christina Lee said…
Well if you lived close to me I swear we'd be friends!! ;) my son would love you for xbox Indie Jones. At least I do xbox Bakugan with him!
Lisa Miles said…
Christina, My son hasn't discovered Bakugan yet. Give him time:)
Crystal Cook said…
That's fun! But seriously, you love to pack and move? Are you crazy! Just the thought gives me the shivers, that would top my list of 10 least favorite things to do. I'm writing my first YA too and am loving all the great books out there! And me and my son are also HUGE fans of any LEGO game, especially star wars, batman and indiana jones :)Good luck with your move!
Lisa Miles said…
Crystal, I'm weird. I do love to pack and move. I like the process of going through everything and getting rid of crap. Plus, packing gets rid of the clutter around here. :) Yay for Lego games!
Erin Kuhns said…
Thanks for that! I feel so behind...just caught this tonight.

Loved your list and thanks for carrying it on. I really love to learn about the not-so-writerly things about these awesome writers such as yourself.

And for the record, I LOVE Two and a Half Men. I attended a taping of it once, when I was in LA a few years ago. It was a lot of fun...I'm just glad that seeing it live didn't kill the illusion for me when I see it on TV!!! :)
Lisa Miles said…
Erin, You're so lucky you got to go to a live taping! I'm jealous:)

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven