Salesgirl of the Month

When I was nineteen, I worked for a well-known company selling eyeglasses. I didn't wear glasses and knew nothing about them. When I answered the help wanted ad for "frame stylist," I showed up expecting to be hanging up picture frames. Surprisingly, I was hired.

My job was to help customers pick out glasses and sell them expensive lenses. I am a horrible sales person. Horrible. Most often I'd end up talking people out of buying the more expensive glasses, and get them into something cheaper, telling them the cheaper ones were just as good.


We got paid a regular hourly salary plus commissions. Our commissions were based on certain lens "extras" that we sold. Specifically, there was a special Lens Package that sold for $40 (on top of the $100+ cost of the lenses), and we made a $10 commission on that package. I almost never sold those. I found it impossible.

The package consisted of a tint (which was easy to sell because you can see it), scratch protection (another easy sell--everybody wanted that), and UV coating. I could not sell or explain the UV coating to save my life. It gave an ugly yellowish tint to clear lenses, and I'd end up talking people out of it.

It didn't take long to realize I wasn't making commissions, and I got pulled into the managers office for a talking to. I was basically told if I didn't start selling the special Lens Package, I'd be out of a job.

Knowing that just because my job was being threatened, I wouldn't become any better of a salesman, I came up with an idea. A great idea, if you ask me.

I started giving out lens prices including the special Lens Package $40 price. I didn't give the customer the choice. I told them their lenses would be $170 which included tint, scratch resistant coating and UV.

Not one person ever questioned the price or all the added extras. My commissions went through the roof and my job was saved. For a while anyway.

Comments

Anonymous said…
As a person who wears glasses, I always check my options. Thanks for being honest. ;)
Raine Chasing said…
Good thinking! I think theres a lot sales people that do that. I always check thru everything and even ask them to show me the breakdown of the prices. I know - I'm a pain when it comes to buying stuff. :)
Pat Tillett said…
The “sales” profession always has a less than honest component to it, at one level or another. Most people just won't admit it.
Lisa Miles said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Miles said…
It's sad when you feel like you're forced to do something like that to keep your job.
Bossy Betty said…
Quick thinking on your part. I'll be checking the breakdown of charges next time I go in to get frames!
Rhonda said…
I loathe sales jobs where they put pressure on the sales person like that. I've had a few and I always think that the customer who is treated fairly and honestly will be the customer who returns...which means, according to management, I was a lousy salesperson just like you!! :)
Lisa Miles said…
I totally agree. I hate when I walk into a store and you're immediately accosted, so I hated doing that to people. I figured if they had questions, they'd ask. It wasn't very long before I requested working in the lab making glasses. I was much more comfortable there and ended up being in optics for 13 years (doing everything except selling:)

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven