Go Big or Stay Home

I'm new to blogging. When I started a few months ago, my post subjects were all over the place. Even I found them boring.

Then I remembered the gift I gave my mom for her 50th birthday, her last. For some reason I remember many, many stories of things that happened to me when I was little. I remember more than anyone else in my family. Although, it was the seventies so maybe there's a reason they don't remember...

Whenever I was around my family and I started a sentence with, "When I was little..." people would actually get up from the table and leave. I don't know if it's because they'd heard them all before, or if they knew once I started with a story I'd roll right on to the next one, and the one after that.

My mom was the one person who loved to hear any story I told from when I was little. I spent six months writing down every single thing I could remember from when I was little. I typed it up and put it into a scrapbook for her birthday, which she was spending in the hospital due to cancer. I have pictures of her crying and looking through the scrapbook.

To make a long story longer, I started writing some of the funny/weird things I did when I was little on my blog. The comments picked up and I kept writing. I finally feel I've found my niche on here with old stories and posts about writing.

As of the other morning I had 23 followers. I spent a lot of time last night searching for other blogs from writers. I found a ton and now I follow them. I am SO happy that my followers jumped from 23 to almost 90!

I feel like I found a fantastic community of writers and I'm really excited to meet everyone!

Comments

Crystal Cook said…
I really, really liked this post! That's kind of how I feel, I'm new to blogging too and I wonder just how lame I sound to whoever may be watching. Anyway, I'm glad you found my blog and that led me to yours :) I look forward to reading your posts and getting to know other writers too. I love your writing tips too. So thanks, nice to meet you!
Wow, that scrapbook of childhood memories was the most amazing thing you could have done for your mom.
I think gifts in which we give something of ourselves are the best, and it seems you've discovered that it works in blogging, as well. Thanks for sharing this.
Raine Chasing said…
Great post. I have yet to find my niche. I started with the "This is my day..." then I moved onto "Writing things..." and now I'm "discussing my novel..."

I've had a few more followers since I dropped my whole "This is my day..." and added in more about writing. I'm glad you're getting more followers. How's your novel going?
Heather Sunseri said…
Wow, what an amazing gift to your mother. The fact that you were willing to put so much love and energy into remembering stories from your childhood goea a long way to expressing the love you had for the childhood your mother gave you. I'm sure she was overwhelmed with happiness over that gift.

As far as blogging, I think everyone has trouble finding their niche and blogging subjects from time to time. It sounds like you're evolving into yours. Good for you! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to reading more about you and the stories you've shared here.

You are right! There is an amazing community of writers on here.
Lisa Miles said…
Thanks Crystal!

Tricia, even though my mom is gone, I still have the scrapbook. It makes me think of her every time.

Noelle, you'll find you niche, just keep writing:)
Lisa Miles said…
Thanks Heather! It's good to know a lot of us are in the same boat:)
Kristin Rae said…
That's so sweet that you were able to share your memories with your mom in such a special way. Very touching, and a great story in itself. Perhaps you should write a bigger story encompassing all of that??

I agree, this blogging community is an amazing thing. I started blogging this past December and as of today, I have 141 followers. At first, I didn't understand how these people were finding me, but eventually I figured it all out, learned to follow them, and I'm learning a ton! We're always here for you Lisa! For whatever you need us for! To get you out of a funk, help with writers block... we can take it! And we can hopefully make it that much better for you. That's what my followers are to me! :)
Unknown said…
Love this post!!! I am about a month into blogging, and I have found the most amazing group of writers, and I am glad I found you to follow as well!!!

Being new to the blogging world is so much fun!!
Mary Gray said…
Glad you're loving the community. There's a ton of us out there, huh?!
Lisa Miles said…
Thanks guys! Kristin, you're so sweet:)
That's so great you've developed such a following. I really enjoy those posts. :)

I seem to have peaked just below 90 followers/

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven