The Help Helped

I finally finished reading The Help the other night. One of our customers gave it to me to read a while ago, and I kept trying to get into it but couldn't. The dialect of one of the main characters was annoying at first, but I pushed through reading for a few chapters and couldn't put it down.

I discovered the coolest thing with this book. I've been working on notes for a YA novel for a few weeks now. I have three main characters and wanted to write all of them in first person. I didn't know how to do this without it being confusing to the reader. The author of The Help did this seamlessly with her three characters. Every chapter was a different character throughout the book. They all had distinct voices, accents and personalitlies that made it easy to tell them apart even if I didn't know whose chapter it was. This is the first book I've read with three main characters, and it came along at just the right time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven