No Such Thing as a Quiet Kid

If you suddenly realize your kid being quiet is too good to be true, it probably is. Two years ago, when Joey was two, we suddenly realized he wasn't downstairs with us.

And he was being very quiet.

I called upstairs for him. "Buddy, what are you doing?"

No answer.

A few seconds later he emerged from our bedroom. I sat back down feeling better that he was coming downstairs.

He walked into the living room. "What were you doing up there?" I asked. He didn't say anything.

He couldn't.

His mouth was full, and I mean full, of staples.

We jumped up and got him to spit them out. I was absolutely paranoid that he had swallowed some and they were going to tear up his heart or stomach, or something in there.

He ended up being fine, but we kept that little story to ourselves. No sense alarming foster care that we feed our kids staples.

Comments

Raine Chasing said…
I remember when that happened. I think you were on the computer with me or got on there after the incident. I would've totally freaked into a panic.
Staples? Holy crap!

It's funny. The quiet thing translates with pets too.
Lisa Miles said…
Noelle, I did go into a panic. I was positive he swallowed some, but he didn't. Thank God!

Mel, You're right. Whenever I don't hear my dog, it's usually because Joey locked her in a bedroom.
Wow! That one takes the cake! It's hard to know when to call the dr and when to say, "everything's fine". On New Year's Eve my son bit through a glow necklace and his breath smelled like ethanol.I checked out the ingredients and watched him VERY closely in case we needed to dash to the er, but he didn't swallow more than a drop or two.These are the stories we will tell when THEY are hosting Thanksgiving dinner someday!!
Lisa Miles said…
Wow! It's amazing how fast kids can do something dangerous. It's impossible to keep an eye on them 24 hours a day.
Mary Aalgaard said…
Good Lord! That's the best one, yet. When my twins were two, they were quiet and in my room on Christmas Day. I knew where they were by the overpowering smell of perfume that they'd emptied, and they had every possible piece of jewelry on themselves, were even decorating each other!
Tales of Whimsy said…
Oh my! How scary!

PS Thanks for visiting my blog :)
Erin Kuhns said…
LMAO!! Staples?! Glow stuff? Perfume?! Oy, it's a small miracle we lived long enough to have children so that they could do these hilarious things. (Which are only hilarious once all danger has passed, of course.)

This post--and these comments--really made me laugh! Thank you!!!!
Lisa Miles said…
I love hearing everyone elses scary stories. It makes me feel like I'm not such a bad parent after all:)
Whoa! That's terrifying! I'm glad he's okay.

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven