My Braces & Glasses Obsession

When I was in sixth grade I was obsessed with braces. Both for my teeth and one for my back. My friend had scoliosis and got to wear a back brace all the time. I also had a cousin who wore one.

I wanted to wear one. I thought it looked so cool. It was big and metal and made her walk perfectly straight. When we had a nurse check us one day in the locker room for scoliosis, I was thrilled when she said my spine was slightly crooked.

Unfortunately it wasn't crooked enough for a brace.

I also wanted to wear braces so badly on my teeth, that I'd wedge a folded up piece of paper in between my front teeth to move them apart. It would work, but they'd always go back to normal. I did end up getting braces when I was 28 and it was not fun!

Another thing I desperately wanted was to wear glasses. It turned out I have an eye problem called Thygesons that was diagnosed in sixth grade. A few times a year my cornea will grow tiny bumps on it making it painful to blink and blurring my vision. For years I went to a local hospital eye clinic where med students would line up to look at my eyes (sometimes after lunch and they'd have tuna fish-breath). It was a very uncommon disease.

Since my prescription changed almost daily when I had a flare-up, the doctor didn't know what prescription to give me. So he gave me a pair of bi-focals to wear to school.

His nephews bi-focals. Huge metal frames. U-G-L-Y!

I had no idea how to use them and was quickly made fun of. Eventually I got my own glasses. Huge plastic frames that took up most of my face. I hated them so much (we were too poor to afford anything hip), that I yanked the temple off them and told my mom they broke in gym class.

Afterwards I felt terrible because I learned the temple would cost $28 and she didn't have it. My grandma bought me another one. I didn't break that one.

Comments

Stephanie said…
I thought braces (for teeth) were cool too.....but now looking back..so glad I never needed them!
When I was younger, I too thought that what other girls had was cool and envied them.

As I have become a grandma and listen to my granddaughters I hear some of the same desires. I only wish I could teach them that who they are is most precious, not who they try to become.
ali cross said…
LOL Lisa, I've just found you (thank you for finding me first!) and hope you don't mind if I say; I've never met anyone who wanted to be a nerd more than you!

I too wanted glasses so badly that I swear I cheated on the eye exam and have basically spent my life sure that I did "glasses" to myself. I'm legally blind now (well was before I got PRK, lol, best thing EVER!).

Anyhow, fun blog! Can't wait to get to know you! ♥

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven