My Addiction

I actually have many things I'm addicted to: kissing my son's head, buying books, checking email, Facebook...I could go on.

But my major addiction, my curse, is sugar. It took me years to learn that eating sugar was the reason I was so exhausted all the time. I tried cutting out white flour, sleeping more, sleeping less...nothing worked. Finally a few years ago I decided to give up sugar. And, I can't even explain the difference I felt. I was like a different person. I went from feeling so physically exhausted I could barely keep my eyes open during the day, to having so much energy I had to start taking Melatonin just to fall asleep at night.

There are a few major changes when I don't eat sugar for at least two days:
  1. I'm am pretty much constantly in a great mood. Nothing makes me mad, impatient, or grouchy. With sugar, on the other hand, I'm quick to snap, moody and, as I mentioned, exhausted.
  2. I have boundless energy. I have so much energy I can barely sit still.
  3. And my favorite part, I'm much more creative. It's like my mind isn't foggy anymore, instead it's open and clear. I can focus for hours on writing and thinking about my stories. When I eat sugar I can barely concentrate for a few minutes at a time.
So with all this said, why, why, why is it SO hard for me to stay away from sugar? Once I get past two to three days of no sugar, I'm good. I don't want it or crave it. But if I decide that I'm OK and have been feeling great, I'll think, This one cookie/ice cream/sugar-filled snack won't hurt.

But it does. I pay for it for days!

When I knew my dad and his wife were coming for a cookout, my first thought was, "If we can have a bon-fire, I can have a s'more." It's like all of my thoughts revolve around sugar. I was in heaven when I bought a roll of chocolate chip cookie dough to make cookies last week. I knew I'd eat more dough than anything. We didn't even have all of the groceries in the house before I had that roll open and was eating it. We ended up only having enough for nine cookies. I loved every minute of eating the dough, but I paid dearly for it for days. I was miserable. Absolutely miserable.

Does anyone else go through this? Do you have things you just can't stay away from even though you suffer afterwards? How do you stop?

Comments

Wow! I'm amazed how much sugar has affected you...I never thought about it doing more than making one gain weight...Thanks for sharing! Does artificial sugar bother you?
cleemckenzie said…
I never thought about sugar being bad because that was the reward for being good, right? Do your homework and then have some cake. Eat your peas and then have some ice cream.

Fortunately, I'm not often that good,so I don't overdose on the rewards.

Good luck on that giving up sugar idea.
Carolyn V. said…
Serious? Sugar does that? I never really knew that. I may have to reevaluate what I eat.
Lisa Miles said…
It must not happen with everyone, but it's definitely the case with me. I'm on day three without sugar and I'm starting to feel really good. Now if I can just keep going....
Joy Argento said…
When you cut out the sugar, do you just not eat sweets or do you completely cut it out and check labels on everything and avoid ALL sugar? I am thinking I should try doing this. I know I feel better when I don't eat wheat and think sugar may also be a problem. But like you, I go a long period of time without eating wheat, then just start eating it again for no real reason.
Yes, I drink too much black tea and my teeth pay for it. I have to switch to green or distract myself from, "just one more cup!"

I wanted to stop by and let you know I have an award for you today on my blog http://montanamarynotmartha.blogspot.com/
Have a great day! Leah
Amy Sullivan said…
Ok, I can't stay away from those huge cookies in the bakery with an inch of brightly colored frosting...ugh. The are so yummy, but after two I always swear them off. Well, at least until my next trip to the store.
Lisa Miles said…
Joy, I allow myself to have 8 or 9 grams of sugar that's in something, at the most. Like I buy yogurt that has 8grams, but I couldn't eat a donut. I'd feel like I was in a coma and moving underwater.

Thanks Leah!!
Pat Tillett said…
I have a very similar addiction. It's still to sugar, but in another form. I'm addicted to carbs. totally! Even the fruits I eat are the ones high in carbs...

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven