How's a Girl to Find a Writing Buddy?

Ok. So I have this major problem of not being able to finish any writing that I start. Except for the two films I co-wrote and wrote and directed. I'm convinced I only finished those because, one, so many people were involved, and B, they were shorts therefore easy to write.

To make a long story short (you're welcome) I'm working on finishing a novel I started quite a long time ago. I have over 350 (typed) pages done, with 72K words.

I. Want. To. Finish. This. Novel.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm more than halway there.

I reread about 100 pages last night and really like what I have. I think my main character is funny. My problem is the plot. I have a million ideas but no one to bounce them off of. I don't know if I'm trying to add too much to the story, or if it needs more.

I need a writing buddy. I'm more than happy to read what they've written and give feedback, let them bounce ideas off me and be a general all-around writing friend, if they can do the same.

I had a friend from high school read my first chapter. He gave me fantastic feedback....but he's a HE and I know he's not really interested in chick-lit-type writing. I don't blame him. 

Anyway, does anyone know how to go about finding someone? I'm thinking of checking out the Barnes and Noble Writing Group tonight, but I'm not sure.

Comments

Jennifer Shirk said…
Well, what kind of genre is it?

RWA has online chapter groups where you can find a romance, YA, or women's fiction writer critique groups.
There's the Romance Divas forum, too. You can post a message that you're looking for a critique partner.
Lisa Miles said…
I think it's chick-lit, but not the single-girl-moving-to-NYC-type chick-lit.
Thanks for the forum ideas!
Finishing stuff can be really frustratingly hard, I know. :( But a critique partner is a definitely good idea, or so I've heard. :)
I don't know if this helps at all, but I'd be more than willing to help you out. I know I'm some random blogging chick, and if that makes you uncomfortable that's fine, but I love critiquing and bouncing ideas around and reading non-finished stuff. Weird, I know, but I always read a bunch of my friend's stuff because I love to see stuff being written. The entire process is fascinating, isn't it? My email is b.e.yeager@hotmail.com if you want my help. :)
Robin Lemke said…
You can post on Absolute Write and ask for a crit partner. You'll get lots of responses!
Carolyn V. said…
I joined a writers group, found a critique group (which I highly suggest)and have a close writer friend who helps me. They all came from me letting people know I write and going to groups (like you are). I hope you find some writing friends that you need. =)
Joy Argento said…
I would like to possibly volunteer for the writing buddy position. I think we have simular styles, from what I have read on your blog. I have book that is nearly finished that I would love feedback on too. Chris Waara, in fact thought you and I might be benificial to each other with the writing.
Joy
artbyjoy@aol.com
Joy Argento said…
On a side note...I couldn't loosen the knob on the propane tank for my grill today...and I could have used a friend with a bionic arm.
Joy
Lisa Miles said…
Lol Joy! Just let me know next time you need a bionic arm and I'll be there!
prashant said…
You can post a message that you're looking for a critique partner.
Contextual Ad Network India

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven