Our 8Ft. New York City Art Project


I am a big believer in letting kids use their imagination when making crafts or an art project. I never stop my son and tell him the sky's not actually red (hopefully he already knows this), and if he wants to draw people ten times bigger than cars then I let him. For the past few days we've been working on drawing this house, yard, and sky on our whiteboard. We've since added a castle, McDonalds, and a ladder to the helicopter.







He loves drawing and adding things to it so much, that I had an idea last night to make an even bigger project. A few years ago for Bug's adoption gift, my girlfriend gave him a giant roll of paper. It was one of the best gifts he's ever gotten. I unrolled about eight feet of the paper and told Bug we could draw anything we wanted as on ongoing project. We can keep coming back and adding more details, colors, etc. He was thrilled and right away chose to draw New York City.

My husband and I went to NYC three weeks ago for our anniversary, without the boys. Before we went I read a bunch of books on the city to Bug so he'd know where we were. He was totally enthralled with Central Park, and that's become the main picture on our drawing so far. He keeps saying things like, "Let's add a merry-go-round like we saw in the book. And don't forget the ice cream stand, that was in there, too." For a kid who will not sit still to do writing practice, or remember that he walked into the bathroom to brush his teeth, he is amazing when it comes to things he's interested in. Here's what we have so far:


Buildings


 Central Park




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven