Art Display and Homeschooling

We have these great shelves going down our basement stairs that were being unused. Before we had our new kitchen pantry put in, we used to have food lining these shelves. But since then they've been bare. I recently had the idea of buying (cheap) picture frame and framing Bug's artwork and schoolwork. He even commented on how he loved seeing his stuff hanging up for everyone to see when they walked it. 




After struggling for the past few months with Bug to do worksheets for school, we took a (worksheet) break and I looked into unschooling.  Unschooling is basically having the child lead in what he wants to learn, at his own pace. Some of the ideas I agree with, especially considering he's only five and going into Kindergarten. But some seem a little far-fetched or at least hard for me to imagine doing. I don't know if could NOT teach him during the day, and just let him play, watch tv or do whatever he wants. 

My husband was all for me trying unschooling for his Kindergarten year, but was concerned that, if left up to his own devices, Bug would never be interested in reading or writing. I guess this is a common worry for beginning unschoolers, and rightly so. 

So, I think what I'm going to do this year is stop using the worksheets and most likely not use the Kindergarten curriculum I bought. Instead I'm going to continue teaching him as I have been this week, which was a lot of fun and NO tears, yelling or fist-pounding (from either of us). We read,  played a lot of games like Jacks, ball, coin toss, Wikki Stix, etc. Everything we did (whether Bug realized it or not) had teaching incorporated into it. It all included counting, the ABC's, nature, etc. and he loved it. Mainly because I wasn't forcing him to sit still and work on paper. 

He's also signed up for his homeschooling co-op classes. I was too late in registering and he didn't get into the farm life, sign language or science classes, but he'll be in Lego Club, ABC and Construction classes this semester. Hopefully, since I'll be teaching next semester too, I'll get his registration in earlier and get him into our first choice classes instead. Either way he's excited to start co-op, and I'm excited to co-teach Perspective Art with my girlfriend. 

Comments

Unknown said…
Love-LOVE-LoVe your gallery space and am inspired to do the same down the walls leading to our basement. LOVE THAT!!

I explored the idea of unschooling when I was homeschooling my nephew a few years back . . . and it didn't work out. For some children, it works really great. In our case, though, he need the interaction (which, in now way, is a bad thing).

I love your blog! Sorry I don't comment more often!
Terra said…
You found a beautiful way to display his art, and I look forward to reading more about unschooling here.
Jeff King said…
Very inspirational... thx for sharing!
Lisa Miles said…
Jenn, I like the term "gallery space", hehe:) It sounds better than "art on the basement stairs wall." You'll have to post a pic if you decide to do it. By the way, I got all of the frames from the dollar store.

Thanks Terra and Jeff!
Elisa said…
Awesome place to put art work! I am so excited about unschooling - it's nothing really new here...we have been doing it for all their lives except for a couple of months of "school at home" and that was awful. Of course, Isaiah is not 6 yet, so the pressure is off...but Lisa - he doesn't like being forced to read, so he hasn't read anything in about 6 months. The other day, I encouraged him to read me from his little readers (mostly 3 or 4 letter words like Matt sat on the matt.). He read like three booklets! I couldn't believe it! He was actually reading a story to me!! They WILL learn to read on their own...without even really trying to. Those leapfrog learn to read dvds are so great. =)

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven