To Tell or Not To Tell

I was standing in the pharmacy line today at Super Walmart and knew the question was coming. As always, it starts out simple enough.

They glance at my four year old son, Joey, and say, "He's adorable, how old?"

"Four," I say, feeling her stare from him to me. She's wondering, Is her husband black? Did she adopt?

"Is he your only one?" she asks.

"Yes," I say, keeping it short. Please leave me alone and let me wait in line to get my Advil Cold and Sinus so I can feel better.

"Is he adopted?" she pushes.

"Yes," I say. "Last August."

Now is the hard part. Foster care will teach you not to say you have foster kids (especially in front of the kids). I totally understand this and would never want to make a child feel like he wasn't part of our family. However, we take only babies and I'm proud of the fact that we're foster parents.

More often than not people will confess they've always wanted to be a foster parent but didn't know how to go about it.

Or they'll just comment that they could never give a child back, like I'm cold-hearted and actually enjoy doing it.

If I don't explain that we're foster/adoptive parents I feel like I'm not promoting it (there are tons of kids who need homes).  And if I do explain, I usually get nervous and feel like over-explaining and giving out too much information. People always want to know my son's background and that's not something I want to share with strangers.

This is something I struggle with all the time. And now that my son is getting older, I don't ever want to embarrass him out in public or make him think I'm not extremely proud of him being our son.


Comments

Terra said…
What an adorable boy, and I can see there is a lot of love between you. You are handling the questions right, I am sure.
He's adorable, you are doing great Mom! Your kids are fortunate you are so sentitive to their feelings.
Pat Tillett said…
You are proud of him, and we are proud of you...
He looks like a sweetie! I know it must be hard to deal when people ask intrusive questions. But as long as he is secure in your love I think it will be okay.
Shelley Sly said…
Awww what a cute boy. I don't have kids yet, but hubby and I plan to adopt. I've always wanted to, and I think it's one of the best things you can do. Thanks for sharing this.
Anonymous said…
My sister and her husband just adopted their first child, an adorable girl who already owns a huge part of my heart.

When they adopted her, our cousin--who had also adopted a little black girl--told her a story about the way people treated her. She said they were either proud or thought her indecent for thinking she could properly raise a child of a different ethnicity. Her answer was always, "The way I see it, we're all the same or we're not. I choose to believe we're all the same."

For our family, we're the lucky ones. We get to share our lives with this beautiful soul. I don't know that I could love her more even if she were mine.
Anonymous said…
p.s. Your little guy is darling!!
DL Hammons said…
What a cute little guy...except he's a Yankee's fan. I guess nobody's perfect. :)
Unknown said…
Hi I am an artist from India. I paint portraits and figuratives.I got to know about your blog at Crystal Cooks blog.I was attracted to your blog title ,"Confession of a Writing Mama".
Looks like theres something to learn from here
Eileen Loveman said…
Maybe I'm cold hearted, but I don't think you owe anyone an explanation. You can be polite and say "thank you" when they say he's adorable, (which he is!) but then turn around, to let them know the conversation is over. People will ask as many questions as you let them.

But that's just me. You all look very happy, so you're doing something right :)
I can't imagine him every feeling unloved or like he's not part of your family. <3
Mary Aalgaard said…
It's hard to know if people are nosey, curious, concerned, interested, want more info that will help them take that big step. Best to have a sentence or two in your back pocket. Blessings to you and your enormous heart!

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven