Books I'm Embarrassed to Read

I figured if I think this way, others must too. At least, thinking that makes me feel better. There are a few authors whose books I am slightly embarrassed, as a writer, to be caught reading:

  • Janet Evanovich--Don't get me wrong, I love Stephanie Plum, but it's just the same story over and over.
  • Danielle Steel--I haven't read one of her books in years, but I used to devour them. Soon I saw certain patterns--like whenever a main female character felt sick to her stomach, she was pregnant.
  • Lauren Conrad--Since I'm working on a YA novel, I've been reading YA like crazy. Last week I bought LA Candy by her. I figured it was a best seller (as is her new book), so I should see what the fuss is about. I hate it. The only think keeping me reading it is the fact that I paid for it.
What books or authors are you embarrassed to read?

Comments

zz said…
HA HA! I pity you having to read Lauren Conrad's book.

I used to read the Virginia Andrew's sagas as a teen. Severely messed up my perception of families, seriously - I think I still need therapy.
Unknown said…
Ahh, Danielle Steel. I used to read them almost obsessively. Have you ever noticed she recycles character names?

And zz, I also read VC Andrews as a teen. Some very warped stuff, there!
Unknown said…
I would have to say Mills and Boons Romances... that would be if I read Romance.

I also read a lot of YA and when first started reading I devoured babysitters club and Sweet Valley High... those would probably be embarrassing to pick up and start reading now.
Kristie Cook said…
It was Sweet Valley High when I was a teen. I'd read them in secret and hide all the books whenever a friend was coming over. And I think those severely messed up MY perception of families. Nobody has families like that. We're all dysfunctional.

Now, I have to say it's the Twilight books, though I'm over them now. But for a while, when I was sucked into the stories, I felt like I did with the SVH books. There are a few other YA books I feel the same about, because I am an adult and I don't even write YA, but I have a guilty pleasure in reading them.
James Patterson. He doesn't even write the books himself. *sigh*
Mary Aalgaard said…
None, really, except maybe the old romance crap like Harlequin, but I don't read those anymore.
Anonymous said…
I really like this but because authors are obviously published, and do have a following, I can't bring myself to say I'm embarrassed to read any. Sometimes if I read something I think is particularly horrible, I try to envision the person who would LIKE it, and then I have a new character for my own writing.

In saying that, I must say there are a few non-fiction, self-help books I am embarrassed to admit I read!

Thank you for the follow!
I'm currently rereading #13 from the Evanovich series. REreading because this was the first one I read, then my friends freaked out and one sent me the entire series (I started at #4). I'm skimming this one but it's all the same. I can't read too many in a row.

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven