I Wish I Could Make Friends Like a 4 Year Old

This morning I took my four year old son, Joey, to the library. I wanted to get two YA novels and they have a big room for kids to play in.

When we got in the play room, I knew we wouldn't be in there long. Joey has separation anxiety issues that stem way back from being in foster care. If I even bring up the word "school" to him, he gets teary-eyed and panics. He doesn't like to be away from me unless it's with other family members. Forget leaving him anywhere like with a babysitter, preschool or any other activity like that.

The play room at the library had tons of kids in it, and I knew immediately Joey was uncomfortable. The only way he'd play is to have me right by his side. I sat on the floor and started flipping through the books I'd found. He wanted to play with a toy other kids were playing with, but didn't want to go near them. After about five minutes of coaxing, he finally leaned over (they were right next to us) and grabbed a figure from the toy. Still, he just sat on my lap and played with that, he wouldn't move. Until...

He noticed the little boy next to use was being read a Star Wars book by his mom. Joey stared at the boy (also 4) until the boy turned around. This was their conversation:

Boy: Look mom, he's got a Star Wars shirt on.
Joey: And I have Star Wars socks, too.
Boy: I have the Star Wars video game.
Joey: I have the Star Wars video game and Star Wars Legos.
Boy: I have the Legos too. What bad guys do you get in the video game?
Joey: I'm Obi-Wan and I kill...(I tuned out at this point--I know nothing about Star Wars).

But those two little four year olds talked for fifteen minutes all about Star Wars...levels they've beaten on the game, Legos they have, books, and what happens in the movies. This was a huge step for Joey. First of all, he has speech delays, so the fact that he carried on this long conversation (and the boy understood him!) was amazing. And the fact that he formed a little friendship on his own was wonderful to watch. He's normally afraid of other kids and won't talk to them.

Comments

Pat Tillett said…
My wife says I act like a 4 year old sometimes. Maybe that's why have easy conversations with anybody.

Great post Lisa
Jennifer Shirk said…
How sweet! I used to love to watch my little one make new friends. Actually, I still enjoy watching how she works her way into a group of kids.
I envy it, too!
Shelley Sly said…
Awww this is so sweet! Glad it worked out like that. I wish I had the ability to chat with anyone the way a 4-year-old can. :)
Rhonda said…
How precious is that?? Of course, I've watched the hubs connect with people in much the same way. Only it's usually over electronics and circuit boards but still...

I, on the other hand, have to test the waters and move far more slowly in the friendship pool.
Raine Chasing said…
I wish it was that easy to make friends as an adult. I remember when I was that little, I made lots of friends.
It's amazing to watch children find their common bond. How wonderful for him.
Anonymous said…
Aww...Star Wars Geekery saves the day! I wish I made friends like that too.
Carolyn V. said…
That is so sweet! I love it when my little guys connect with other kids around them. It just makes my heart smile. =) I'm so glad I found your blog Lisa!

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven