Why I Don't Enjoy Massages

My husband was nice enough to get me a gift certificate for a spa for Valentine's Day. I went for a massage and eyebrow wax last night. Since we are in the middle of moving (we closed Wednesday and have been moving boxes over), I needed the massage. And since I have crazy thick eyebrows, the wax was much needed, too.

The massage rooms are very relaxing. They're dark, smell good and have soft music playing. I'm fine right up until the girl walks in and starts-a-rubbin.

Then my mind turns on me. Should I say something? Does she think I'm ignoring her? Am I boring her if I keep quiet? Who do I think I am having this poor girl rub me down? She must hate me!

So then I speak. And I can't shut up. Suddenly my massage isn't so relaxing anymore.

Now if I go back to the same girl (and there's only one there) I have to talk. She expects it from me.

On a positive note, I had a $100 gift  certificate and since another massage therapist canceled on me last week, last nights was free. Good deal!

Comments

DL Hammons said…
I always imagine those chicks in massage parlors as tall Scandanavian women with long blonde hair tightly wrapped into pony tails and biceps bigger than my thighs. Their name would be something like Broomhilda, and they would say, "YAH" alot.

:)
Terra said…
I have never had a massage so don't know the rules. Could you tell her next time "I think I'll just have some quiet moments during the massage today"?
And she probably loves having the work, so will be happy to see you.
I get massages quite often. I simply say that I like to be quiet and drift, then I get a lot of great time to muse on my stories while the stresses of life are being worked out of my muscles. You are paying them. There is no reason to feel they are doing you a favor or that you have to entertain them with chat. My massage therapist is a wonderful woman, who tells me she has clients who are quiet and those who aren't. She is fine with it either way. So, toss out your worries, relax and go with the flow of the physical experience. I hope the next session is bliss.
Raine Chasing said…
I've never had a professional massage and I too wouldn't know what to do. I'd probably talk too just to try to break the silence.

Glad the move is going good. I miss chatting online, but hopefully you'll be all set in your new house soon.
Shelley Sly said…
Oh gosh, I've totally been there. I've had many massages, and while I'm usually a chatter in those kind of situations, every once in a while I just want a quiet massage so I can relax more. And of course those are the times that I get asked, "So what do you do for a living?" etc.
L. T. Host said…
I don't like massages because they hurt :( But yeah, that part is awkward, too.
Lisa Miles said…
DL, I don't really go to massage "parlors" that guys are interested in. Girls go to the relaxing, clean, ones without massage therapists who could hurt them:)

Tricia and Terra, good ideas! Next time I'll just say I want to enjoy it:)
Rhonda said…
I've never had a massage and part of the reason is the "awkward" factor. It's just too much stress for something that is supposed to be stress relieving...besides, my muscles are so knotted and tight that it would hurt way too much!
Bossy Betty said…
Oh yeah. There's an awkwardness factor. I got over it though and had a great massage! Yow!
Nicole said…
I never talk - Im there to focus on me and destress..they understand that.
DL Hammons said…
Me again...I have an award waiting for you at my blog. :)
Anonymous said…
I've never had a professional massage. I think I'd be nervous too!

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven