What's the Best Writing Advice You've Ever Received?

I've read tons of books on writing. Tons. I have shelves filled with them. Some of which I haven't even read yet. I think the best writing advice I've gotten has been BIC (butt in chair). I'm one of those writers who will procrastinate so long, I'll use all of my writing time up and I'll have to quit before I even did any writing.

My biggest distraction, besides dishes, vacuuming, and cleaning out the lint trap, is the internet. I sat down last night, for my first time, in my new writing room. My husband was taking care of our son, and I planned on working on my Script Frenzy project. I ended up answering a bunch of emails I've let pile up (which I can't do since we own a cleaning business), and checking out Facebook. About an hour later I came downstairs and my husband asked how my writing time went. I said it was great, even though I didn't get any actual writing done. But I did have a great time being alone in my writing room and getting a feel for things.

So even though I don't always follow my favorite advice, I'm striving towards it. Before we moved I took every single opportunity I had to write. At work while cleaning houses I keep a little notebook in my apron where I jot down notes. My head was so into my YA story that I had to stop and write on envelopes, napkins, whatever was available. I'm finally getting back into that mode now that we're more settled at our house. And it's a great feeling.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I do this too! I put the kids to bed the house is quite..I even say to myself, "Tonight I will write like the wind!"
Mostly I never do. I go to bed..or put away dinner. But I am with you on the not writing when you have the time.
Terra said…
I am completely with you on distractions taking away from writing time.
My favorite advice is "writers write".
Tess said…
My favorite advice came from Patti Gauch (Penguin) .. she said, "Yes, you have dedication, but do you have dedication ENOUGH?"

a good question to ponder.
Unknown said…
My favorite advice came from Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones. It's simple and to the point: Shut up and write.

Pretty similar to the BIC advice, come to think of it.

And I'm with you on the whole procrastination thing. The internet is EVIL!!
Christi Goddard said…
I weirdly get more plotting done when I'm at work (at a call center) than I get done in the two hours before I leave for work. I come home with plotty notes for the next chapter and work during the evening, then the next morning I'm lost to my blogger friends and run out of time to write. :-)
DL Hammons said…
I'm not sure where I read this...

Don't let your work out into the world until you are absolutely sure it is the best it can be.
Lorel Clayton said…
"Butt in chair" is my favorite it of advice too.
btw, I'm so jealous you have a whole writing room! Enjoy!
Bossy Betty said…
Just get it out, even if it's garbage. Get started. That's the best advice I've been given.
Ann Elle Altman said…
For me, I find it frustrating because my husband works from home. He, although he will deny it, makes a great deal of noise and will come and visit my office for a chat. That becomes distracting.

ann
Trust the process.

I've heard this in two places recently, including an interview by one of my favorite authors, Elizabeth Berg.
prashant said…
I am completely with you on distractions taking away from writing time.
My favorite advice is "writers write".
home based data entry

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven