Slow Down, You Move Too Fast

I've always been an impatient person. I can't stand still waiting in a line, I check the clothes in the dryer so often it's no wonder they don't dry quicker, and you'd think the house was on fire the way I rush my family out the door when we're going some place.

But ever since we got the baby from foster care, I think I've gotten worse. I feel like I'm always rushing to get everything perfect so I can do something for myself like write or read or take a shower. The thing is when you homeschool a five year old, take care of a three month old, are a foster parent (which has many, many pain in the butt phone calls, visits, doctor appointments, etc. that go along with it) and run a cleaning business, everything is not going to be perfect.

I just got a family membership to the YMCA and it's one of the best things I've done in a while. I've been going with the kids and our good friends three times a week for the past few weeks. We put the kids in child watch for about 45 minutes and we use the machines and walk the treadmill (we're up to 2 miles!). Then we get the kids and take them to the play areas or swimming. It's one of the few things I've done for myself lately and I love it. Even if I am a little sore. The down side is I come home to a messy house because I'm not here in the morning to clean it. But I guess that's a small price to pay to feel healthy and have fun with the kids.

My (ymca) girlfriend and I are also starting our own homeschooling co-op. We're both highly organized and love teaching our kids. We think alike and work well together. We've helped each other organize our school rooms, traded schooling ideas and our friendship has grown so much over the past year.

I've been off Facebook for over two weeks now and I still don't miss it one bit. I had given myself the deadline of July 7th to finish the first draft of my novel and reactivate my FB account, but I think I've changed my mind. I don't think I'm going to sign back up after all. My husband says he's not surprised (though I was surprised he said this...I figured he was shocked I didn't miss it). He says once I don't have something, I quickly get over missing it, if I miss it at all. Years ago we didn't have the internet for two weeks when we had moved. At the end of the two weeks I told him I didn't care if we ever got it, I didn't miss it. Same thing when I can pry myself away from eating sugar. Once I've stopped I don't miss it or crave it. That's how I feel about Facebook. I feel like I can't believe I wasted so much time seeing what other people were doing all day. Or saying what I was doing. Who cares? But we'll see what happens. I could always change my mind again. I am female after all.

Comments

Staying away like I did was awesome for me. It helped me create discipline. Sometimes I missed it, sometimes not. I like being back but I'm not obsessive about it anymore. I post often on breaks and such, but I am getting a lot done otherwise.

As for as life, be kind to yourself. You have your hands full with those beautiful babies. :)
Angie said…
A messy house is indeed a small price to pay. The YMCA sounds perfect. Good for you! Good luck on finishing that novel too.
Terra said…
How great you and a friend and your children are exercising at the Y three times a week. That is more important than staying home and cleaning a house which will only get messy again. Good for you. I exercise twice a week in a pool so I know how good exercise is.

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven