2 Out of 3 Things I Hate For $700

I've always hated exercising. I don't even like walking unless it involves a mall and a wallet full of money. But I've been diligently going to the YMCA three to four times a week and working out. I can't tell if I have had any results yet because I never measured or weighed myself to begin with. Yesterday I did the bike at the Y for four miles and a few other machines. Saturday I ran for a quarter of a mile straight (I know, big deal, right?) and walked two. There are a few machines I really like (and not just the ones with the tvs attached). I'm going to set up an appointment soon to learn a group of other machines. They offer three free appointments with a trainer so I might as well take advantage of it. I have a standing date three days a week to meet my girlfriend (with the kids). She's keeping me motivated and I love having someone to talk to while I sweat it out.



I don't think I've ever been on a diet. Actually, scratch that. When I was sixteen I was on a hot dog, milkshake, peanut butter and banana diet to gain weight. I weight 90 pounds until I quit smoking at 23 then gained a whopping 13 pounds where I stayed for years. Lately though I've noticed my jeans not fitting quite as comfortably. And my shorts not fitting at all from last year! I didn't think I looked any different, but I must. I'm blaming it on my unnatural love of toast and mint chocolate chip hot fudge sundaes (not together of course). Either way, I'm going to need to change my eating habits. The problem is that I have colitis which means I can't eat yummy things like raw veggies, wheat or grains. But ironically I can have sundaes and toast. Go figure.



Ah, writing. My true love. Well, my goal of getting a first draft done by July 7th is slowly dwindling. While I have lots of ideas for my wip and jot down notes, it's very hard to find the time to actually write. But that doesn't mean I'm giving up. It just means it'll take me longer that I had planned. Getting off of Facebook is one of the best things I've done to cut wasting time, but joining the Y more than made up for that time (in a good way, of course). So, I still don't have a lot of time yet, but I will. The baby (now four months old) is sleeping better at night so I'm not as tired during the day. I need to just carve out a half hour here and there to sit and write.

But first...I have a garage sale to plan!

Comments

Wow - sounds incredibly busy!! And good for you for getting to the Y regularly. I have a gym on campus and I'm too lazy to go visit much. :) I should write out some summer goals about working out... hmm.
I'm also sort of on a diet! Well, not really. Sorta.
See, last year I lost a ton of weight, not by dieting, but by actually changing my eating habits and keeping them that way. Once I gave up on the, "after I lose X pounds I'll go back to eating like normal" I started to actually lose weight. It was awesome. :) Snacking was the first thing to go!
Anyway, weight loss sucks.
BUT, as far as writing goes, stick in there! Even if you can't make your july deadline, that's okay. Real life and your health are more important. Good luck!! :D
Jolene Perry said…
I find that working out is often my best thinking place for my wip. When I get home from a run/walk, I usually go straight to the computer to get thoughts down.

Good luck!
Stephanie said…
Good luck...on everything!!! We joined a gym a year and a half ago and while there are some things I am not fond of, some I really like. Does your Y have classes?? Our gym does Zumba classes and that is a lot of fun. If I'm going to do the treadmill or an elliptical, I bring my Sony reader and read while on the machine...makes the time really go by fast!

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven