Unconscious Habits

Not all habits are bad. When my four year old is in the car or concentrating on something, he likes to sing. The songs rarely make sense, but he's in his own little world.

He's also a head banger (and has been since he could lift his head as a baby) and will watch TV while banging his head back on the couch. It relaxes him. But it has to have the right feel. He's been known to test-bang on a couch or bed to see if he likes it.

He'll also bang in his car seat and (face down) when he first gets into bed and in the middle of the night. It's usually accompanied by humming, which is the reason we've never been able to go on a vacation and share a room with him.

For the last few nights we've been getting ready for Glee's new season by watching the last season on DVD. Our son  loves the show and we've been letting him stay up late with us to watch. He'll sit next to me and bang his head back on the couch while the Glee members sing. When he gets tired he'll lay in my lap and close his eyes. But as soon as they start singing again, he pops back up half asleep and bangs until the song is over.

I've noticed I have this terrible habit of biting my nails whenever I'm writing. It's usually when I'm so wrapped up in my story I don't even know I'm doing it. I try sitting on them, but then I just stare out the window thinking about my characters or plot and I realize I'm biting them again. When I grow my nails out and put nailpolish on I don't bite them. It's once I start, I can't stop.

Do you have any habits you do unconsciously?

Comments

Liz said…
I'm the worst nail biter ever. Usually when I'm driving it's the worst, I think. I stopped for a few months but went right back to it. I'm also a paper folder. I can be in a meeting and start doing it and not realize it until someone comments about it.
Davina Marie said…
My little girl also bounces and makes up her own songs whenever she is relaxing. I think we could be entertained watching and listening to the two of our kids together.

I twirl my hair compulsively!
Pat Tillett said…
I sing, hum, and whistle...
Often to the destraction of others.
Kelly H-Y said…
When I'm sitting, at least one of my legs is often in motion (bouncing up and down from the ball of my foot) ... I don't even realize it!
Carolyn V. said…
Honestly,take too many breaks when I'm writing. It's like a nervous habit.

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven