I'm Not a Routine Girl

Creativity is 
the opposite 
of routine.         
                                    I'll never be a soccer mom, because I can't guarantee I'll get my son to the   soccer games. I keep our family pretty busy with activities, but most of them are spontaneous. We signed our son up to play baseball with our local homeschooling group, and we made one game. Every Monday night I not only completely forgot about it, but when my son said he'd rather play outside, I let him.

We don't eat dinner at the same time every night, I can't stick to a writing routine for the life of me, our four year old doesn't have a set bed time, and if we have parties we wait til the night before to plan our menu.

I like that we're spontaneous and we can pick up and leave to do anything. And I think we keep life interesting by deciding to eat hot fudge sundaes before dinner. And we love our house cleaning business because our schedule is wacky.

My husband doesn't know why I'm this way since I'm so organized in other areas of my life. He's the way he is because he wanted to be total opposite of his parents. That's easy.

Our son has 4-5 speech, OT and psych sessions per week. It kills me that I have to be home at certain times every day. I hate it. If it wasn't incredibly selfish of me, I'd cancel all of them (I wouldn't do that b/c I know he needs them).

Maybe some day we'll eat dinner at 6pm every night, our son will play sports (every week!) and go to bed at the same time every night. For now we'll enjoy our hectic, fun life.

Are you a routine person? Or do you fly by the seat of your pants like us?

Comments

chickadeegirl said…
Hi - I think I'm somewhere in between, to tell you the truth. I like some things being routine (the kids schedule) but, I like doing things on the spur of the moment too. I don't like having to be somewhere at a set time and having lots of things scheduled because I like to change my mind and do other things instead. I does make life less boring and more fun!
Liz said…
I wouldn't say I'm hyper organized but def not spontaneous, either. So you really eat ice cream before dinner? Can't say we've done that. My poor kids. ;-)
Lisa Miles said…
Yes, we've been known to hit Friendly's for ice cream sundaes around 4pm:)
Oh gosh, I hear you.

I love the order than comes to routine, but being in charge of making it happen? Not my favorite responsibility. I'm not sure why.

You're a good mama, you are.
Angie said…
I love your spontaneity. I wish my life could be more like that. It is in the summer time, but once school's in, we have to a be a little more scheduled. I prefer spontaneous, though.
Owen said…
In theory, I love spontenaity. In reality, I would be a quivering puddle if I lived like that. :)
Pat Tillett said…
I am most certainly NOT a routine person. Our kids learned early, sometimes in our house, you just have to fend for yourselfs. So they all started basic cooking and food prep at an early age. It didn't always end up that great though...LOL

We are just as likely to eat breakfast at night as we are in the morning...
pants with wings! That's what's so fun about raising kids - teaching them what's REALLY important in life - living it to the fullest!
Anonymous said…
I'm not routine at all. But, once I had kids, they motivated me to be. My oldest is just an a-type personality that needs structure. As soon as I was in a good place, I knew I had to focus on that for her, and so I did. It's helped in a lot of areas, because self-motivation is hard for me. I keep talking about having these little epiphanies and how I need that in order to get swallowed up into the creative world, whether writing or anything (I also am an interior designer). If I do have that creative spark that makes me disconnect to the world, it's really hard for me to force it. So, I think someday you'll be a bit more towards the 6 pm dinner times and soccer practices every week, but at the same time, you're lucky that you're always on the creative go and you won't just lose that because of some outside structure (like kids, school, sports etc).
BK Mattingly said…
As of right now I'm a routine girl, but only because I must be. I'm in college and that means set schedules for classes, work, and now even writing. I really wish I could be more carefree though :)
I'm definitely between the two. I try for routine, but the most I get is getting kids to school and picking them up.

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven