Story From High School

 

While cleaning up my writing room yesterday (now that bat season is over and I can go back up there), I came across this story I wrote in high school. It's embarrassing now, but at the time I was thrilled with the grade I received. Mrs. Petrie was my favorite teacher and the first person to really encourage me to keep writing. Even after this story.

(The assignment was to tell the story that leads up to the moment in the picture. It should also be noted at this time in my life I was fascinated with the police and planned on becoming a cop after high school.)


Pictured here is Ralph and Edna, two lonely people who now live in an old-folks home in Brooklyn, NY. Edna is a retired factory worker and Ralph is a retired cop. In this picture, while playing chess, Ralph is telling Edna one of his many stories of when he was a cop. However, this one particular story he's telling was about one of the worst situations he's ever been in. 


Out of the thirty years Ralph had been an officer of the law, he shot and killed one man. Ralph was driving around in his patrol car late one hot summer night in July, when there was a call on the radio for all units who were in the vicinity of 42nd St, there was a robbery in progress at a liquor store.


After he found out the location of the liquor store, he flicked on his lights and sped to 42nd St. where Al's Liquor Store was located. When he got there, there was only one other police car there. Ralph went around to the back of the liquor store where it was filled with garbage and sneaked through the back door. Up in front he saw the robber with a gun up to the clerk demanding all the money in the cash register.


The cop from the other car came charging through the front door yelling for the guy to drop his gun and put his hands up. Instead, the guy grabbed the saleslady and stuck the gun in her ribs telling the cop to throw down his gun and get against the wall. Ralph was right behind the robber, but the robber didn't know it. 


Ralph went up to the robber, who had the gun up to the lady's ribs, and pointed his gun right up to the guys head and told him to let the lady go or he'd blow his head off. As quick as a flash, the robber stuck the gun to the lady's head and cocked the trigger and was about to pull it when Ralph pulled his trigger instead. His whole head exploded with green slime and his brains splattered against the wall. 


As Ralph told this story, he was once again depressed that his cop days are over, but he's glad he has someone like Edna who will listen.


Now is that a masterpiece or what?  Have you saved your stories from when you were younger?


Comments

Liz said…
Very cute story. Love that your paper says MONA on it! That's a great writing exercise, though... to take a picture and develop a story. So creative! I found something yesterday that I wrote about my grandma a few months ago but I don't even remember writing it. Weird. But I have a bad memory... I'll stop rambling on your blog!
Lisa Miles said…
I like your rambling:) Do you know where I got that nickname? It was from your dad. Jenny and I were talking one night on the phone, and your dad started singing Mona Lisa in the background. It stuck all through junior high/high school and my mom called me that up until she died when I was 29:)
Jude said…
I think you just created a new genre: Cute-Noir-Thriller! Lol :)

And hm, I don't know where my first story is anymore, but I remember I wrote it in pre-k. It was about two cats, husband and wife, but the wife kitty cheats on her husband for a hotter male cat. It was illustrated.

(I watched a lot of soap operas since they were on right before Bobby's World)

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven