My Son the Oddball

When my four year old son was little, he was obsessed with The Wiggles and Sesame Street like most kids. In the past few months he's changed quite a bit.

Instead of cartoons (which he does watch occasionally), he'd rather watch Michael Jackson concerts, documentaries on the Titanic or any show on Discovery or the History Channel.

We go to the library 2-3 times a week for books and videos. Most of his books lately consist of Michael Jackson, oragami, maps of the world, weather-related incidents (tornados, hurricanes, etc.), and the human body. I LOVE this curious little boy I have.  

This morning he woke up and asked if we could open his piggy bank and take out some of his money and go shopping. We took out $11 and he told me what he wanted to spend it on: a Statue of Liberty snowglobe.

I took him to three Goodwill-type stores and he made a beeline for the home items at every one. Forget the toys, this kid wants ceramic houses, snowglobes and statues. He kept telling me he wanted to look at "pretty things." Don't get me wrong, after the pretty things we looked at toys. This is what he bought today:
  • a Noah's Ark snowglobe
  • a ceramic house
  • a souvenir of Paris
  • a sucker
  • toy soldiers
  • a giant dollhouse for his soldiers
He keeps his snowglobe and ceramic house collection on top of a shelf in his toy room. I can't wait to see what this kid gets into next!


Comments

Kelly H-Y said…
That is quite the eclectic collection of purchases! Love it ... can't wait to see what he creates with all of it!
Great collection! My daughter has a ton of memory boxes...
Pat Tillett said…
Odd is good...
I'm happy to hear that there are kids who don't just do what television wants them to do!

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven