I Love a New Idea

Because I switched from screenwriting to novel writing, I already have a million ideas for movies, but not many for novels. And not only did I go to novel writing, but YA novel writing. I've had one idea I've been working on for a while, and I plan to use it for NaNoWriMo this year.
I took my son to a library about 20 minutes away today. During the drive my mind wandered to new YA ideas, of which I have none. While checking out at the library, I noticed a good-looking guy with two little kids. He was checking out ahead of me and flirting with the woman behind the counter, who were in their fifties. They were all blushing and giggling like teenagers. It was fun to watch.

He walked out ahead of me and it turned out he'd parked next to me. He let me put my son in my car first, then loaded his girls into his van. The whole time he kept glancing at me, but I ignored him. He smiled out his driver's window when I backed out.

On the way home I kept thinking, what kind of dad/husband acts like that? Being friendly was one thing, but this guy was out and out flirting with any woman he came across. The long car ride home gave me enough time to think up a YA plot, characters and even character names. When I got home I quickly started jotting notes down...until my son ran into the house saying he had to pee really bad, and proceeded to pee on the floor.

I can't wait to get another minute to sit and take some notes for future use. I love a new idea.

Comments

Terra said…
That is great that you got a plot idea from seeing the dad in action flirting. He may be married and flirtatious, or a divorced dad with custody or a widower, sad to say. So there are some good plot possibilites brewing here. Let us know what direction you run with.
Tamika: said…
I'm so glad you had that cherished light bulb moment:)

Happy writing!
Angie said…
I love new ideas too! That one sounds intriguing.
Carolyn V. said…
Hee hee. Sorry your son didn't make it to the potty. But I agree with ya! I love a new idea!

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven