Listening to Your Characters

Few things are more exciting to me in the writing world than when my characters talk to me. I've had a middle grade novel idea floating around my head for about a week now, plus I'm working on an older YA novel.

This morning while out to breakfast at Denny's, I overheard our waitress telling another table (she was actually telling people at the table, not the table) about her new granddaughter being born and how she was the first girl in the family in 28 years. I immediately wrote that down and knew I'd use it in my middle grade story. Suddenly I had my MC (a 12 year old girl) who has four brothers and was the first girl born into the family in years. It set up a great dynamic for her family story.

I love when my mind is open enough to take in the things around me and apply them to stories. I listen to everything and think where I can apply it. If I can't, I write it on an index card and file it into my Idea Box for later use.

Do you have any expamples of stealing ideas from real life?

Comments

Stephanie said…
LOL! So funny you post about this!!! I was in the shower last night, where I always seem to get great ideas, and something made me think of this girl I know. I shouldn't say "girl", she's 31, almost the same age as I am. But she leads the life of a spoiled rich, barely 21, kid. I wonder if she'll ever grow up and be able to function on her own as an adult. She's never had a 9-5 job her while life and has never had to support herself. (I don't know her super well, but she told me all about the boob job her step dad paid for so she could get bra modeling jobs! And as far as I know....she hasn't gotten a modeling job yet.)

Anyway, you get a good idea of this girl. And she has an assistant...for what, I'm not even sure. But I started to wonder what it's like to be this girl's assistant...and wahlah...book idea! I'm gonna tell it mainly from the assistant's POV, but also the girl's too. And I'll obviously make this girl more outlandish than the real girl and give her a different name.
I steal stuff from real life all the time :)
Carolyn V. said…
Yay! I love getting new ideas from people around me! I got my last few characters from songs I heard on the radio, they were just what I thought awesome characters would do, so I wrote them into my stories! =)
Christine Danek said…
I love new ideas. I also love when my characters talk to me. I had another idea brewing in my head as well and the characters started talking to me. My current WiP wasn't very happy about it but what can you do when the mood strikes you.
Shelley Sly said…
"she was actually telling people at the table, not the table" Haha!

I'm so with you -- I get a ton of ideas from real life. That's awesome that you were able to pick up that story at Denny's.
cleemckenzie said…
It's all about listening and absorbing, isn't it? I now have friends who say, right in front of me, be careful. She's (meaning me) taking all of this in for something she'll write in the future!

I always have that "who me?" expression ready, but I can't fool 'em.
Unknown said…
it's great when inspiration hits like that.

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven