I'm Too Impressionable

I just finished reading Saving Zoe by Alyson Noel. I bought it last week at the Rochester Teen Book Festival. It had a similar plot line to the YA I'm currently working on, so I wanted to check it out. It was a great book, well-written and kept me interested. I read it in about three days and I noticed on the third day I was feeling depressed.

I get this way sometimes if I watch a depressing tv show on dvd, or read a dark book and get sucked into the character's world. One time I watched about six episodes of Six Feet Under and I was SO depressed. I finally figured out it was from the show and had to stop watching it. If I just watch one episode at a time, I'm OK.

Anyway, I started to get worried about being depressed from Saving Zoe since it was similar to my story. I was afraid if I started delving into my three characters and their problems, I'd start to get depressed and not finish it.

After talking it over with my husband (who is awesome to bounce ideas off of), I decided to keep writing but maybe make mine a little more lighthearted than I originally intended. Like a funny tragedy.

Will that work?

I also have an idea for a funny middle grade book in my head. I've been jotting down ideas and dialogue, and I'm thinking if I work on both I'll keep my sanity.

Are you impressionable?

Comments

I am sensitive and easily disturbed by sad or ugly stories. I think the best ones do include humor of some kind to help lighten them, but it's important to decide from the start what tone you want to set. If your protagonist is spunky and funny and rises above bad things that helps. It the story is just sad you may need to figure if there is some redemption you can bring to the end. At least that's what I like in a story, not just a depressing end. Life is bad enough. I need to feel I can rise above the bad.
(wow my word verifications is badster)
Kelly H-Y said…
Very! I'm easily disturbed by stories, because they can be so close to real-life. I think it's a great idea to go with your gut and add some lightheartedness to it!
Katie said…
I'd say to go with what feels best to you. You can't force anything. And if you're going to get depressed if your story is too dark, go lighter. Nothing wrong with that. :)
Carolyn V. said…
I have a hard time with stories that can really happen when they are sad, depressing, etc...
I feel things deeply, too. It makes me a good friend, but a bad poker player. :) I used to watch a lot of csi shows, but after a while they made me feel sick to my stomach. I stopped watching them completely. I'd rather laugh or be amused by "reality" TV.

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven