Talking, Texting and Driving...Do You Do It?

I'd like to say I've never done this, but I have. Even knowing how many accidents and lives it has cost, it's easy to think it won't happen to you. My phone was usually on the passenger seat next to me, so if it vibrated it was easy to pick up and see who it was from.

My husband recently got a ticket for talking on his cell while driving. He had accidentally set our home security alarm off, and when they called to get the password, he gave the wrong one. They called him back a few mintues later when he was driving and he answered. At first I thought it was unfair that he got a ticket, but he could have pulled over to talk. It was too late anyway. By the time I got home there were police in our driveway. I should have picked an easier password.

Ever since then if I even attempted to make a call in the car, my son would pipe up and yell, "No talking on the phone when driving!" He's a great reminder. Now I keep my purse in the backseat so I'm not even tempted to make or take a call, or check a text or email.

How about you? Do you talk, text, or email when driving?

Comments

Kristin Rae said…
Well, where I live it's not illegal to talk on the phone while driving. Only in school zones during the times posted on the signs.

I have navigation on my phone and sometimes I think that's just as dangerous as texting. I try to look when I get to stop sings/lights.
I do talk and drive, but I use the speaker and have it in the cup holder. It's usually when I'm driving down straight country roads. No traffic, lights, turns, lane-changing. I NEVER text while driving.

I don't see the need for the extra laws. There have always been laws for reckless operation. Texting while driving is reckless, but so is putting on makeup and reading the paper! Let's just enforce the safe-driving laws we already have.
Sher said…
Ugh. I hate to admit it but I do text and drive. I've never even almost gotten in a wreak but I know I shouldn't do it, and that at any time it could happen to me. Luckily it's usually my husband who's driving and not me : )
SkyBlue said…
Hello~! Lol i texted while driving my boss to a meeting. I guess it was not a very good career move!

I have followed your blog.
Could you follow mine too please at:
SkyBlueTrading Blog

I currently have a competition of stock price guessing where I will give the winner $1.00 or more for guess it right~

Thanks!
Pat Tillett said…
It's not hard for me because I don't text at all and I don't like to talk on the phone that much. My car is my fortress of solitude...
Texting? No. Also, they passed a law to make it illegal here in CO, so yay!

Talking? Yes. But it's not illegal here AND I always use the speaker phone. I dial a number before I leave my driveway and have it on speaker. If it became illegal to do that, I'd stop.

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven