From Hip to Drip

The summer I was 17 I had a babysitting job on Seneca Parkway (awesomely huge houses) Monday thru Friday. I worked 6am-6pm, made breakfast, lunch and dinner for two kids and made $100 a week. Ah, the good ol' days.

To make the time pass I'd take the kids on numerous walks during the day. One day I was walking down Magee Avenue towards Raines Park. Out of the corner of my eye I saw somebody waving at me from inside a house. I walked closer and saw a very cute guy doing the waving. I had no idea who he was, but it didn't matter. He was hot and he was waving. At me. I waved back frantically. He stopped waving and looked at me strangely. I realized he was cleaning his windows. I quickly walked away and took the long way back to the house.

The next day was Saturday and I "had to"go up to Ray's Deli for something...anything. And instead of walking down my street (Electric Avenue), I had to go the total opposite way to walk by the guy's house. As I sloooooowwwllyy walked by his house, he came outside. We introduced ourselves. I vehemently denied being the idiot who waved like a nut the day before while he was cleaning windows. I told him I was going up to Ray's Deli and he asked me to get him a Pepsi.

I practically ran the rest of the way to the store, so I could get back to him and continue our conversation. I handed him his Pepsi and he asked what I bought for myself. Realizing I didn't buy a thing for myself, I told him I ate a candybar on the way back.

His name was Todd Alexander and he was 23. An older man! He was so cute, I think I'd still recognize him if I saw him. He asked if I wanted to see the inside of his house. He didn't have to ask twice. (An aside: I was an extremely naive 17 year old). We went into his house and instead of him showing me around, he asked if I wanted to sit on his lap. Didn't have to ask that twice either.

I tried to act mature and grown up, like I did this all the time. It was no big deal to be in a strange guy's house sitting on his lap. We started making out and I remember he tasted like beer. It never even dawned on me where he might think it was leading.

Just when I was convinced he was going to ask me out (back then it meant being boyfriend/girlfriend exclusively), suddenly I heard it. The words that I can still hear clearly in my mind. The words my mother called from a block and a half away...

"Lisa....Lisa Marie....Come home now!"

I started talking fast and loud hoping he wouldn't hear. Didn't work.

Him: "Is somebody calling you?"

Me: "No, I don't hear anything. So anyway, you own this house, huh? You must have a lot of money."

"Lisa Marie! Where are you?"

Him: "Are you sure? I think someone's calling your name."

Me: "Nope. No one calls me that."

Him: "What, your name?"

Me: "I'd better go. I should really help that crazy woman find whoever she's looking for."

We made plans for him to stop by in three days, when my mom would be at work. (That story is much worse than this one.)

Comments

Meisha Ray said…
That's funny, the waving thing. I've been in those shoes and I still do it these days. I'll see someone waving (not cleaning windows or at least I don't think they are) LOL and I'll start waving only to look around and they're actually waving at someone behind me. LOL

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven