Circus or Bust

There are a few things I knew for sure when I was 12:

  1. If someone didn't invent something to control my curly hair in the near future, I'd have to shave my head.
  2. My album collection of puffy stickers were NOT lame (no matter what my brother said).
  3. Lastly, and most importantly, I was going to be a trapeze artist in the circus.
I went through a few career ideas before settling on trapeze artist. First I was going to be a teacher, but I realized I only liked organizing the papers, not dealing with the kids.
Then I was going to be a comedian. I'd take joke books out of the library and try to memorize them. Instead, I ended up forcing my mom and brother to sit on the couch while I read the joke book to them, waiting for laughs. Not so funny.
I also wanted to be a gymnast but had never had any gymnastics training other than the cartwheels and round-offs I did on my front lawn. So I settled for the next best thing, trapeze artist.
I decided to start training right way, and the only way I knew how: on the shower curtain rod. We had a big old fashion bathtub with a metal curtain rod that went all the way around and attached to the ceiling. I told my mom I was going to take a shower (I even ran the water). I stood on the edge of the tub and grasped the rod tightly. I got on my tiptoes and flung forward with all my might.
I don't remember landing (maybe I briefly blacked out), but I do remember the sound of the curtain rod ripping out of the ceiling and crashing down around me. My mom came running up the stairs and I jumped back into the tub. She burst in and asked what happened. I told her, in my sincerest voice, that I didn't know. The curtain rod just...fell.
She got on the phone to the landlord (yes, this was a rental) who lived next door. I quickly got dressed and he came over. My mom told him what I'd told her, that it just fell. He took one look at it and said, "It looks like someone was swinging from it." I gasped and sputtered, "Psshh, what? Swinging? Why would someone swing from a curtain rod? Duh." and quickly went into my room to hide out until it was fixed.
Needless to say this ended my short lived career as a trapeze artist.

Comments

I'm loving these stories. It's good to know I wasn't the only kid with less-than-normal ideas. :)
Lisa Miles said…
Thanks:) Maybe you have a few to share.....:)
lzazubec said…
Oh my Favorite one, I still laugh everytime I hear it.
Ohmygosh, that's great! The things we do as kids, because we don't think it all the way through. I'm started to relish the idea, and expect my oldest to try to get away with things, because it's part of growing up, you know?
Lisa Miles said…
I did a lot of stupid stuff (as you can see). :) I can't wait to hear the funny things my kids will do.

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven