How Do You Keep Your Characters From Sounding Alike?

I have this problem, especially with female characters, where I think I make them all sound alike. I know you should be able to cover up the character's names and just read the dialogue and figure out who is saying what. I don't think I could do that with mine. At least not yet, but I'm working on it.

I've learned two things recently. One, if I go more than a day without writing or working on my story, I start to forget what the characters sound like. And, two, having pictures of what I think my character looks like really helps. Sometimes I use New Faces Model web site to find pictures of people, or I'll use famous people. Either way, it helps to put a face with the person I've created.

What do you do to help your characters sound unique?

Comments

Stephanie said…
I always use actors and actresses as I write...I need to have a visual and imagine them saying my words...moving how I describe. I'm constantly watching my story as a movie in my head!

I'm having trouble with my newest...keeping all the characters sounding different. there is the main character, her sister and friend, and then the 4 women she works with. It's okay if the women she works with kinda blend together...it's not real important that the reader be able to keep them straight...but still.
I think I'm just really lucky. My characters sound different all on their own. I really wish I had some advice to give, but I guess I just don't know. Maybe try to write a scene or two using only dialogue?

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven