Songs That Create a Story For You

Last night after getting my four year old to bed, feeding the five week old and getting her down, I crashed on the couch for a few minutes of alone time (while the hubby showered). Earlier yesterday I'd heard Christina Perri's Jar of Hearts on the radio for the first time. I found her voice pure and haunting. I downloaded it right away, but didn't get to listen to it again until last night.

As I laid there enjoying the first quiet minutes of my day, I listened to the song and thought about a future story idea I've been taking notes on. I didn't have much to go on except the basic premise...no specific characters, or well thought out plot. While listening to this song though, I suddenly envisioned the main character, and why she does what the plot is centered around.

I love it when something comes together like that. Now this is my theme song for that story, and when I have time to work in it some more, I know I'll be playing it a lot.

Have you had a song hit you from out of the blue that helped you creat a character or story idea?

Comments

rivercat said…
you have a calming style of writing. nice blog
Unknown said…
Yes! While on a long drive through Iowa I listened to local musician William Elliott Whitmore. Just like that, I had my two main characters. The story sort of unfolded on that drive. It was strange and unexpected. I only wish that would happen to me again :-)
Unknown said…
I've actually been thinking about this post since yesterday. I've never had a song inspire a whole story idea, but I definitely have songs that inspire scenes. And when I get stuck, I'll go pop the songs in.
Lisa Miles said…
I feel like this might be the first time this has happend for me. Although I've definitely heard songs that evoke a certain feeling I'm trying to create.
Anonymous said…
Yes, very much so. I have a few songs in my head that I feel will be the perfect accompaniment to my book. I imagine the credits rolling and the scenes unfolding as the music starts to play.

CJ xx

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven