Music That Brings You Back

I heard the Eagles the other day on the radio, and it brought me back to over thirty years ago when I was a kid. Certain songs evoke certain emotions. The Eagles make me feel calm. Bruce Springsteen reminds me of being in my bedroom in the eighties, with my Boss poster (the one of his butt) hanging above my bed. There's a Guns N' Roses songs I still can't listen to because it reminds me of a boyfriend from long ago and still makes me sad.  Same for Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel. My mom listened to that over and over when my dad was in Vietnam when I was little. Too sad for me now.

My parents constantly had the radio on when I was little, which is probably why I'm the same way now. We almost always have music playing in the house and in the car.

I remember being seven years old and calling up 92.5 WBBF and requesting "We don't need no education..." by singing it to the dj.

We've gotten Joey into all types of music: classic rock, hip-hop, Top 40, heavy metal, country, etc. He loves it all and will dance to anything. I hope when he gets older and hears a song he heard when he was a kid, he'll remember the fun we had dancing around the house or singing in the car at the top of our lungs.

I'm still making memories with music now with Joey. Whenever I hear Katy Perry, I think of him. Right now she's his favorite. Even if he does call her "that guy that sings with Elmo."

Comments

Awww!! I love music, and you're right, it definitely evokes emotions and memories. Sometimes good ones, sometimes... eh, not so good.
Great post!
Denise Covey said…
Great post, and you talked about some of my favourite music. Now I'm gonna have Guns 'n Roses November Rain thumping through my head all day, not that that's a bad thing. And Simon and Garfunkle, swoon, Sounds of Silence and Bridge...sorry if they bring back the bad, but music is so powerful isn't it? At times you can define milestones by music..:)
Lisa Miles said…
Thanks Bethany!
L'Aussie, November Rain was the song I was talking about:) I love how a song can bring you right back to a specific incident in your life. Sort of like how scents can do the same thing.
Unknown said…
I definitely have songs that take me right back to moments in my life and others that bring on certain feelings. I am the same way with my kids. It makes me laugh that my kids can sing more classic rock than kiddie tunes (tho we've had plenty of those around too, lol). I sometimes wonder which of these songs my kids will connect to the moments in their lives. :)
Jolene Perry said…
I was realizing today as I was cooking with my kids that they'll have such fun memories of the music I listen to just like I have fun memories of the music my parents' listened to. It's pretty awesome.

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven