Spotlight On...Model & Author Cheryl Diamond

Being a writer of young adult books, I read a ton of YA novels. I also like to read a lot of YA non-fiction to keep up on what goes on with teenagers today.

I was lucky enough to find Cheryl Diamond's Model, A Memoir at my library. I read it in two days and bought the book when I was finished so I could read it again.

I can't tell you enough how much I loved this book. Cheryl moved to NYC at sixteen, lived on her own and worked her butt off to break into the world of modeling. She is beautiful, strong, determined, funny and someone you'll want to hang out with.

Cheryl takes you with her on auditions, jobs and everything in between. Your heart will race toward the end when she recounts a particularly horrible experience, and you'll feel like you're witnessing it right alongside her.

Cheryl was gracious enough to take some time out of her busy schedule to answer a few questions.


1) What was the hardest part about writing this book? The easiest?

The hardest part was the fact that I had absolutely no experience writing books when I decided to write Model at seventeen. The first chapter took me about six months to be satisfied with since I was learning as I went. I'm actually glad that I never took a writing course, I don't follow a lot of the accepted 'writing rules' that I heard about later. An agent told me that I should never begin a sentence with a gerund. After looking up what 'gerund' meant I promptly ignored this advice.

The easiest part was that being a model in New York provided me with a wealth of anecdotes and material. People in the fashion industry are nuts. Bless them.


2) What do you consider the most challenging about writing a novel (or writing in general)?

The focus and time required. It took me three years to write my book, during which time I gave up on any semblance of a real social life, or time off. It's a very solitary process. Also, the whole time I had no guarantee that it would actually sell, which leads to a lot of examining your life choices at 2AM.

3) What do you do when you’re in the middle of a book and you’re sick of it? How do you keep from stopping to work on your new shiny idea?

I just think about all the people who were sure a model could never write a book by herself and then I feel instantly energized and full of righteous indignation. Also, it would be more work to start a whole new book than to knuckle under and finish the first.


4) What are your current writing projects?

I'm working on a novel about the modeling industry and also considering writing for magazines.


5) What are you most proud of accomplishing so far in your life?

Surviving New York. (Look a gerund!)


6) What is your favorite quality about yourself? Your least favorite?

My favorite is my absolute determination, once I decide to do something I will find a way to make it happen. My least favorite is actually quite similar, I push myself way too hard. It's no joke. I have made myself sick by ignoring exhaustion and anything else in the way. It may be a side effect of my upbringing and having been in seriously competitive sports. Or possibly just becasue I'm a Leo.

7) Favorite TV show?

The Office.

8) Who is your favorite author and why?

I like P.J. O'Rourke's Parliament of Whores, because he speaks the truth without being depressed by it. We're only going to live for a finite number of years, so we might as well be able to laugh about life.

9) What’s the last book you read?

The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz. I actually re-read it, it's another of my favorites. He's such an operator.

10) What is your favorite/most helpful book on writing?

I never read any books on writing. Is that arrogant? Or confident? It's a fine line:)

11) Do you have a Facebook or web page for fans?

Yes I do, I'm thoroughly modern! www.facebook.com/cheryldiamondbooks or my
website: http://www.cherylmodel.com/



Thank you, Cheryl!

Buy the book!

Check out Cheryl on Good Morning America: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNq-awOViYs

Comments

BK Mattingly said…
Great interview! I'm definitely putting this on my to be read list :) Thanks for the interview and suggestion.
Lisa Miles said…
I'm so glad! You won't be sorry:)
Wow! Great interview. She sounds very down to earth and I must say I AM impressed she did it on her own.
Lisa Miles said…
Mel, I am too! She actually went to NYC at 14 with her dad, but went back to live at 16. She is so much braver than I am!
Unknown said…
Fantastic interview! I loved the photos and the story sounds amazing. Something so different... I am definitely putting this on my list!
Lisa Miles said…
Thanks Jen! I really think you'll love her story. It's like nothing I've ever read. I can't wait for her next book. Let me know how you like it once you read it:)
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The book is on its way to me now. :)
Lisa Miles said…
Thanks Jennie:)
Angela, I'd love to hear what you think when you're done with it!

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven