I Miss the Olden Days

Ok, so I wasn't really around in the olden days. But I miss the days I was around in: the 70s and 80s. Everything was so simple. I only had to think about which tube socks to wear with my silk shorts, and what color yarn to put in my ponytails.

There were no iPhones to check twenty times a day. No Facebook where you go from ten real-life friends to 300 cyber-friends who you never see in person.

We didn't have 500 tv channels to choose from, Netflix or Blockbuster.

My parents didn't run us all over the place. We played outside all day long and came in when the streetlights came on. I remember my mom watching a lot of soap operas. I'm sure she did more than that, like cleaning and cooking. Not to mention taking care of us.

Sometimes I wish there was no such thing as the internet, Facebook, email...It's all such a time-sucker. I asked my husband the other day if he thought I'd get much if I sold my iPhone. He said not to do it because then I'd always be using his to check email and Facebook. He's right.

Comments

Crystal Cook said…
Sometimes I feel the exact same way. I love the internet and all the fun social networking stuff. But sometimes I wonder what I'm missing by wasting too much time on that stuff.
:)

You're doing great with your word count on your WIP by the way!
Angie said…
Yeah, I miss those days too. Great post!
Rosslyn Elliott said…
I agree. I often wish we could get rid of most forms of high tech. The only thing that's good about it is the new friends we make who are often far away!
Christina Lee said…
Your hubby is soooo right! It's already ingrained in your brain--LOL! But I get what you mean, really!
Sarah Ahiers said…
do you think you miss the old days? or do you think you actually just miss your youth and innocence?
for me it's the latter
Lisa Miles said…
Sarah, maybe I miss both. I miss not being so busy all the time. And between being busier and tech devices, the days are too filled up and go by quickly.
I often think how life would be without my computers, but I feel in many ways I'm communicating more than ever before. And though I'd like to go for a week without the technology, I know it would drive me nuts. Ah the good old days, or were they?
We watched an 80's movie last night and it made me realize it didn't take as much to impress me back then - a flipped collar, a side ponytail and you were hot!

I gave up the electronics (cell phone,cable tv) for a year and I was fine. The only thing was I couldn't manage my banking online and certain online things sent me in a rush to the library - like PaperbackSwap. I think the fact that you are aware that you have to give up something to have them (time) will help you stay in balance.

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven