The Happy Dance

We put our first offer in Monday afternoon and wasn't sure if we'd even hear anything back since we went so low. Six hours later our realtor called. He talked for a few minutes about how he'd been going back and forth with the other realtor (he's slow at getting to the point). Mike had just put him on speakerphone when he said, "Are you guys ready for this? (we were) They accepted your offer." I accidentally yelled, "Holy shit!" into the phone (luckily he laughed) then proceeded to do a happy dance and basically couldn't sit still for the rest of the night. It was almost as fun calling friends and family to tell them as it was calling them when Joey was freed for adoption.

The woman who lived in the house passed away and her kids were selling the house. They had just lowered the price by $7K and we went $10K under that. We thought for sure we'd be going back and forth all week negotiating. We never thought they'd accept right away. We are ecstatic and can't wait for our closing date.

It was almost spooky how things fell into place. Years ago when I got together with Mike (and left the house I had owned) I told him that I wanted to own a house again by the time I was forty. I don't know why I picked that age, but I've said that over and over again throughout the years. We're scheduled to close March 3rd and I'll be forty March 20th.

When we first started looking I had a little list of things I really wanted in a house, but didn't have to have:

- at least four bedrooms
- a writing room
- a dining room
- to live in a real neighborhood (we've always lived on busy streets without sidewalks)
- an attic that could be finished for extra room
- a basement that could be finished
- an old colonial
- gum wood trim
- at least two bathrooms
- lots of space inside the house
- a garage

It's not an outlandish list by any means, but we didn't see any houses that had everything. Until we walked into our 25th house.

Our new house has everything on my list except the attic and basement are already finished. The night before we took my dad and brother to see the two houses, I prayed (to my mom) that we'd get something we really loved. Never in a million years did I expect to walk into my dream house that night, after we were so sick of looking at houses.

We struggled for ten long years with renting, infertility, bankruptcy and dealing with finances. I didn't know it at the time but from the very beginning things have been getting better and better. We are now at our all-time high with Joey and a new house. It's all I've ever wanted.

Comments

Lisa, I'm so happy for you! That's so amazing you got everything on your wish list. :)
Lisa Miles said…
Thanks! I really believe someone was looking out for us.
I'm so happy for you guys! I believe it was meant to be. Once you move in you'll have to send me pics of it.

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven