Scripts and Other Ideas

There I was, cranking away at my script, when suddenly I had an idea. An idea that may save my script, but it's a BIG one that will take a lot of work and rewriting. A few days ago I signed up for Pilar Alessandra's rewrite class. I actually thought it was the first draft class, so it was an accident that I signed up for it. I've thought about signing up for her classes before, but it's so expensive I've always decided not to. To attend a class in person it's about $400, but to have the workbook sent to you through email for six weeks is only $100. Still a lot, but turning out to be worth it.

Before I received the first part of the workbook, I decided to re watch her DVD that takes you from premise to outline. It's an excellent way for people like me (who struggle with structure) to get everything down. Throughout the DVD she'll tell you what to do, then give ten minutes for you to apply it to your own story (it's filmed in front of a live class, so they actually have the 10 minutes). When you're done you can listen to what the people in her class did to see if you're on the right path.

Anyway, part way through the DVD she has the class write out two loglines. One from your main character and one from the pov of another character. Once I did that I realized the story would be a lot more interesting coming from the pov of a different character. I've been struggling with writing from the pov of a 38 year old man. The other character is a 37 year old woman. Something I have a little experience with. Now I feel like I'm starting all over.

On another note, just as I was falling asleep last night I had a comedy sketch idea that I'm going to work on. The local TV channel here has been looking for sketches to put on. I just finished the script for one that we'll be filming soon, and now I have another idea.

Something pretty cool happened last week. Back in September I had signed up for Gordy Hoffman's first ten pages workshop. I've taken it before and got a lot out of it; both friends and advice. Plus, he cut the price in half since this is his hometown. I ended up not being able to attend the class in September because Joey was sick. I asked if he'd still be willing to give me his feedback for the $45 I paid, and he agreed. Fast forward two months and I still hadn't heard anything even though I've seen him and traded emails. Last week he posted a pic on Facebook from the World Series. I emailed him and asked if I could trade my feedback (and $45) for a World Series souvenir for my die-hard Yankees fan husband. He ended up sending my husband a Yankees Championship tshirt and a program from the game (plus paid over $10 in shipping). THEN the next morning he sent me my feedback! I felt weird about getting both things, so I emailed him thanking him for everything and asking what I owed him for the Yankees stuff. He emailed me back and said he owed me the feedback and the Yankees stuff was a gift. Isn't that crazy?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven