I Fail Consistently

 


And from the looks of my old blog posts, it truly is consistent. 

If I'm not completely forgetting my kids' doctors/dentist/eye appointments (even though they're written plain as day on my white board stuck to the fridge), I'm looking like an idiot during the office visit.

Today I took my 11 year old in for his yearly check-up. I was only three months late. But I actually showed up, so...progress.

When the doctor came in she read his chart and asked if he was still on the meds she prescribed last year, and if he'd been seeing the therapist she recommended.

Now, if I'd been prepared for the questions, I would have had an answer ready. One that didn't make me look like a terrible, forgetful mother. But I wasn't prepared. So I just stared at her blankly and said, "Um...medicines? I don't think he...um..." and just repeated those fascinating words over and over until she just stared at me. She reminded me the meds were for his allergies (he's allergic to trees, grass, cats, dogs, dust...you name it). All I knew was that he's not on any meds at all. I racked my brain trying to remember her telling me to have him take something. 

Nope. Couldn't remember. 

She moved onto the therapist. "Is he still seeing a therapist for his anger, or did that remedy?"

"Um, I remember he had a Skype appointment with a therapist in March of 2020, but he wouldn't respond to any of the therapists questions."


There. I remembered. Phew.

"Yeah, you mentioned that last year, but then I gave you a list of therapists he could see in person." She took in my disappointed look. "So I take it he hasn't spoken to anyone? Well, I'd pursue that. I think it could help him."

I made two mental notes: 

(a) I'm a total failure of a mother. Yes, I remembered to show up today, but I didn't do anything she asked me to do last time. 

(b) check out at the desk when we leave so I can get the therapists names again, and don't just leave.

I silently beat myself up for the rest of the visit. Then we left.

Right out the door, past the check out. I didn't remember until I got home that I hadn't stopped on our way out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven