My Top 5 Reasons Why I Homeschool

I failed sixth grade. And it wasn't much of a surprise considering my parents got divorced that year, and our home life was anything but stable. One of the things I specifically remember about attending sixth grade in my new school, was asking the teacher to teach more about a subject and him telling he he wasn't allowed. In my first sixth grade class we studied Europe in great detail. For some reason I loved, understood, and craved to know more about everything Europe. (I say "for some reason" because I ended up being a bad student the rest of my school years. That was the one time I was really interested.) When I got to my new school and it was barely touched on before moving on to another subject, I protested. I wanted to know more. I would have even been happy relearning everything I'd already been taught about it. But it couldn't and wouldn't be done. It wasn't allowed.

This is a perfect example of why I love homeschooling. Here was a kid who wanted to learn more than they were willing or allowed to teach. Below are my top five reasons I love to homeschool:


  1. When my son was interested in the Titanic, we spent weeks studying books, movies and documentaries on it. I will never tell him he can't learn more about a subject he is interested in. I'm lucky and thankful that he's so into big things for a five year old like space, evolution, God, and a few things I can't even wrap my brain around. But we will study his interests and learn as much as we can about whatever he's into.
  2. Nothing beats one on one teaching. Not only does it provide instant feedback, but everything we do is tailored to fit his needs. Our school is planned around him...what he likes, what he's interested in, what he'd like to try, etc. 
  3. Being a writer I'm huge on creativity. I love nothing more than my son and I getting our art supplies out and creating something. Whether we work on our art journals, makes cards for people or just wing it and put stickers all over a sheet of paper, I love being creative with him. And teaching him at home lets him be as creative as he can possibly be. There's no one here to tell him his time is up and he has to move onto something else. He can draw all day long if he wants. And when we were working on our 8ft. New York City drawing, that's exactly what we did. 
  4. I don't think for a second that kids need to be surrounded by kids their own age all day long. I love the fact that my son is learning social skills towards people of all ages. He introduces himself to kids, shakes men's hands, and high-fives the ladies:) He's learning to look people in the eye when both he and they speak, to not interrupt and to be polite. I've seen him hold doors for strangers, pick up things off store floors and put them on shelves so people don't trip, and pick up a garbage can when someone ran over our neighbors'. This is all without being told. 
  5. My very tip top reason that I love to homeschool is...I get to spend day after day with my son. I couldn't imagine sending him off for six or seven hours a day (and I know he feels the same way). I feel like the luckiest mommy in the world to be the one to teach, explore, and hang out with him all day.
Obviously I know homeschooling isn't for everyone. Lord knows I get enough eye rolls when people learn we homeschool. But I also know there are a lot of people out there who want to homeschool but don't know where to begin, or they're afraid they'll mess it up. But if you feel that calling, do it. Just try it. The very worst that can happen is it doesn't work and you end up sending your kid back to school. But don't be like so many people I've met with grown kids who say they always wanted to but were too afraid. My Bug is only five and a half, but we're having the time of our life together. Every day.

Comments

Elisa said…
So, I lost track of your blog because I've been keeping off facebook - for the most part. I'm focusing more on my children and on keeping them fed with homeamde meals and keeping up with the laundry and housework - and you know what I've found? I'm a lot more tired during the day but I am SO thrilled in the morning to wake up to a clean kitchen and no heaps of laundry. It then leaves more time in the day to spend with the children & learning.
Lisa Miles said…
That's awesome! I get so much more done now that I've cut back on things like the YMCA, playdates and just going out in general. It was too much.
Lisa Miles said…
That's awesome! I get so much more done now that I've cut back on things like the YMCA, playdates and just going out in general. It was too much.
*Brittany said…
I REALLY want to start home schooling but I have no idea where to start! Where did you start?
Lisa Miles said…
Brittany, I started by researching online and in the library, and reaching out to anyone I could find who homeschooled. By doing this I educated myself on the many different types of homeschooling, and what fit best with our family. My son is only in Kindergarten (which isn't mandatory here) so we're pretty laid back right now. Let me know if I can help or answer any questions you might have!
*Brittany said…
I have been researching and will continue to do so, I just dont have the heart to take my daughter out of kindergarten in the middle of the year when shes learning soo much, kindergarten is mandatory here, shes also the youngest in the class. But Im still not ruling it out for 1st grade!

Popular posts from this blog

My Name is Lisa and I Write Crap

Yet Another Embarrassing Confession (you would think I'd have run out by now)

The Time I Exploded When I Was Seven